It’s been five years since Clooz 3.0 was first publically released in July 2012. A steady stream of new features and capabilities in Clooz has continued since then. Here are just a few of the highlights during the lifetime of Clooz 3:
- Clooz 3.1 (2012) – Exchange people and sources with Legacy Family Tree databases
- Clooz 3.2 (Feb 2013) – The Composite View (hierarchal display of documents & people)
- Clooz 3.3 (Oct 2013) – Expanded Legacy Family Tree interface allowing Clooz documents to be exported to Legacy and create events for people in the Legacy database. Media Location Tool for fixing broken media file links when moving to a new computer.
- Clooz 3.3.5 (April 2014) – Imports from RootsMagic, The Master Genealogist and GEDCOM files were added.
- Clooz 3.4 (Aug 2014) – Event exporting to RootsMagic, Family Tree Maker, and other programs via GEDCOM files was added.
- Clooz 3.5 (Oct 2015) – Import/Export capability with Family Historian. Improvements to the Composite view filtering and sorting capabilities.
While we believe the level of upgrades has been pretty impressive, the best is yet to come. Since 2014, we have been working on a total rewrite of the program to support more flexible development of document templates and use of document data, and allow the program to run on both Windows and Mac OS X computers (without special virtual Windows environments). This has continued to be a long and exhausting process for a small company such as Ancestral Systems, LLC. We are proud to maintain top-notch user support throughout the effort. Unfortunately, some of the development tools and products this effort has been based on have not delivered the level of quality you deserve. Correcting or working around these issues have used up substantial amounts of time. Dealing with these types of unforeseen issues is a fact of life in the software development industry. Since many of these tools were chosen to support our goal of having both Windows and Mac OS X versions, it was tempting to abandon the Mac OS X target and go with Windows only. However, at this point in time, we remain committed to providing a Mac OS X version when the complete set of new features are fully functional. In the meantime, certain new features from version 4 will be introduced into version 3 (Windows only).
So here are our latest development plans. These are subject to change of course, and we’ll update them from time to time so they remain accurate.
Clooz 3.6 [1st quarter 2018]
- Embedded document viewer to assist in document transcriptions (zooming, panning)
Clooz 3.7 [2nd quarter 2018]
- New document editor for both form-based and tabular formats, supporting all of the current document types
- Spreadsheet type document templates for documents having tabular formats (e.g., censuses)
- Form-based document templates for documents such as certificates
Clooz 3.8 [3rd quarter 2018]
- Begin implementing new document templates such as for baptisms, estate files/wills, obituaries, military service (the most often requested new templates)
- New report generator with same type of reports as currently available
Clooz 4.0 [End of 2018]
- Run on Windows or Mac OS (natively)
- Same database files will work on both Windows or Mac OS
- Add additional user customization options for report generation
- Allow multiple events to be defined for single documents
- Add ability to edit all of the summary data for a person while in the document editor
- Data from previous Clooz versions (1.23, 2.1, 3) will upgrade to version 4 (old database files must be upgraded on Windows systems before copying to Mac’s)
- Tool for moving data from one template type to another (such as from a Generic Document to a new more specific document type)
Clooz 4.? 
- Expansion of direct interfaces to other genealogical software
- Import / Export capability to external spreadsheet files
- Interfaces to online data repositories for finding and downloading document information
- Integration with online services such as Dropbox for moving Clooz data between user systems
- Additional new templates
- Add ability to group document lists by geographic area
- Improvements and new features to support interactive analysis of document content (assisting in the proper identification of people mentioned in a document, building of relationships between people)
- Additional new reports and options for user customization
- Versions of Clooz for mobile devices allowing retrieval of information and photographic capture of documents
Clooz ? [further down the road]
- Multi-language support
- Ability for users to edit / create document templates
- Ability for users to edit / create report formats
- Continued development of additional tools supporting data collection and analysis
Want to help make these plans actually happen? Go to https://clooz.com/join-us/
Have comments or suggestions? Drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org