It’s been four years since Clooz 3.0 was first publically released in July 2012. A steady stream of new features and capabilities in Clooz has continued since then. Here are just a few of the highlights during the lifetime of Clooz 3:
- Clooz 3.1 (2012) – Exchange people and sources with Legacy Family Tree databases
- Clooz 3.2 (Feb 2013) – The Composite View (hierarchal display of documents & people)
- Clooz 3.3 (Oct 2013) – Expanded Legacy Family Tree interface allowing Clooz documents to be exported to Legacy and create events for people in the Legacy database. Media Location Tool for fixing broken media file links when moving to a new computer.
- Clooz 3.3.5 (April 2014) – Imports from RootsMagic, The Master Genealogist and GEDCOM files were added.
- Clooz 3.4 (Aug 2014) – Event exporting to RootsMagic, Family Tree Maker, and other programs via GEDCOM files was added.
- Clooz 3.5 (Oct 2015) – Import/Export capability with Family Historian. Improvements to the Composite view filtering and sorting capabilities.
While we believe the level of upgrades has been pretty impressive, the best is yet to come. Since 2014, we have been working on a total rewrite of the program to support more flexible development of document templates and use of document data, and allow the program to run on both Windows and Mac OS X computers (without special virtual Windows environments). This has been a long and exhausting process for a small company such as ours, especially while proudly maintaining our top-notch user support. Much progress has been made, but a significant amount of work is still required. Unfortunately, this has taken much longer than we had hoped. Many companies don’t disclose their development plans knowing the slips and slides will be embarrassing. Here at Ancestral Systems, we prefer to have a more open relationship with our users. So here are our latest development plans. These are subject to change of course, and we’ll update them from time to time so they remain accurate.
Clooz 4.0 [expected by early 2017]
- Run on Windows or Mac OS (natively)
- Same database files will work on both Windows or Mac OS
- Embedded document viewer to assist in document transcriptions (zooming, panning)
- Spreadsheet type document templates for documents having tabular formats (e.g., censuses)
- New report generator with additional user customization options
- Data from previous Clooz versions (1.23, 2.1, 3) will upgrade to version 4 (old database files must be upgraded on Windows systems before copying to Mac’s)
- New document templates such as for baptisms, estate files/wills, obituaries, military service (the most often requested new templates)
- Tool for moving data from one template type to another (such as from a Generic Document to a new more specific document type)
Clooz 4.? [additional releases later in 2017]
- Expansion of direct interfaces to other genealogical software
- Import / Export capability to external spreadsheet files
- Interfaces to online data repositories for finding and downloading document information
- Integration with online services such as Dropbox for moving Clooz data between user systems
- Additional new templates
- Improvements and new features to support interactive analysis of document content (assisting in the proper identification of people mentioned in a document, building of relationships between people)
- Additional new reports and options for user customization
- Versions of Clooz for mobile devices allowing retrieval of information and photographic capture of documents
Clooz ? [further down the road]
- Ability for users to edit / create document templates
- Ability for users to edit / create report formats
- Continued development of additional tools supporting data collection and analysis
Have comments or suggestions? Drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org